Saturday, September 3, 2011

The dream basement and bathroom I never knew I wanted

This last week it seems every morning I rise and take too long, as usual, to start my day. I clean the dishes, read the paper while eating breakfast and eventually walk the dogs before I do anything of use. But now I have a bit of a distraction on my hands. But it's a good one, I must say. Our contractor named D has been coming most every day to help Ron with our remodel and specifically on our downstairs and one of our upstairs bathrooms. With the help of D and in the last few crazy months of work, Ron has never ceased to amaze me with his ability to do house projects before and after most days of work. Ron's days are filled with tales of trauma medicine and surgeries that are interesting but grotesque to me; a person who was traumatized from trying to donate blood. I have even had to lay down on the floor of the doctor's office just to take a blood sample. If I were him, I would want to wake up late and drink the rest of the day away in attempt to rid of thoughts of open bodies in a hospital room. But he hums along to pandora radio while working away on the house I never knew we would have or want. It may seem strange that I keep mentioning that I never knew I wanted any of this. Some people thrive on making changes to their homes and designing them. I am a person who spends a large portion of their workdays advising people on what food would pair well with their Pinot Noir but has no clue on how to pair grout with tiles or even know what tiles I like. I spent most of college decorating my dorm rooms with a growing collection of postcards that I taped with masking tape to the walls. Even as a 21 year old woman I destroyed the ceiling of a shared apartment with glow in the dark solar system stickers that I later found out strip ceiling paint, therefore lowering my deposit refund. I am a woman with zero decorating skills and I mean ZERO. And I have quickly learned that there are a bazillion options to choose from when it comes to tile, paint and any other house remodeling item and I am the worst at making decisions. I spend ten minutes walking up and down the cereal isle picking out my breakfast cereal. I am that annoying customer at an ice cream parlor. "Can I try ONE more sample please before I decide?" I know I go on and on about how amazing my husband is on house projects but I don't know how else to break it down to people but he is incredibly handy and I feel so fortunate. He has shown me how to do so many things and done so many things I ask not to know how to do. Growing up, we called professionals to do remodel projects and to fix most things. I woke up one day in college while staying at my parents house to find my car had a flat tire. My dad was out of town so my mom and I called AAA to our house to change it. My parents weren't lazy. They simply didn't have time with their full time jobs and raising two children. When I met Ron I was amazed at his ability to build things. But as for me I can make jam, mow the lawn and walk the dogs. I don't know shit about cars, drywall, grout and frankly, I don't think I want to know. The only thing I have ever built was a small church in wood shop in grade school. The ironic thing was I hadn't been to church in years. And when I was in church, I spent my time drawing snoopy dog pictures on the pamphlets and dreaming about the post church bear claw donut I would be eating at the local bakery. Each day I watch Ron paint for hours, fix electrical wiring, build wine racks, put up lighting.....the list goes on and on. Ron has been patient enough to teach me a few things including how to use the weed wacker, which I am even more terrified of, the lawnmower and a few other things.
I have been banned from painting, however, because I am slow and refuse to follow the painting tips and techniques he offers to show me. Not because mine are better but because it's the only way I see doing it. Sometimes I feel like the housewife who cleans and that the dogs are my children. I walk them, bathe them, play with them, talk annoying baby talk to them, take them to the vet and bake the rest of the time I have free time. I'm embarrassed really. But at the same time, I enjoy it all. And to my credit, I am a very able woman. I wasn't kidding when I said I love my Carhartts. I'm fit and able and once I get my confidence up, I'll build that chicken coop and plant my dream fruit and vegetable garden. I know Ron feels lucky that I am capable to assist even if that means I make oatmeal raisin cookies. Since the basement and upstairs bathroom are not complete, I can give you a few before and after pics to tease you with. Here are some pictures of our basement remodel:
I know, I know. How could we have given up that lush, glorious carpet?! When Ron pulled it all up, the color difference was quite dramatic from where people walked and from what was hiding below the trim. This room scared the crap out of me. And now look at the direction it is going! Ron is finishing up painting it all but with the new look, I think it says party room/entertainment room written all over it. And it is nice to see the dogs scramble around on the hardwood as opposed to imbedding the old carpet with their hair. More tales of the remodel to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment